Tips to save money and energy this winter
Keep your home warm while conserving energy and managing bills
Xcel Energy is committed to helping customers save energy and money this winter and to helping them with their bills when they need it. Last winter, the nation experienced higher natural gas prices due to supply and demand conditions in the global market. This winter, the company anticipates lower wholesale natural gas prices, and these savings will be passed on to customers.
Even though natural gas bills are expected to be lower this winter in most states, Xcel Energy always encourages customers to take steps to save energy and money and reach out if they need help paying their energy bills. Please visit xcelenergy.com/WaysToSave to find ways to save energy and money, have more stable bills, learn about payment assistance and more.
Interested in some quick tips for this winter? Here are some ways customers can conserve energy:
- Let the sunlight in and keep the cold out. Open blinds to take advantage of the sun's warmth during the day and close them at night to insulate against the cold air outside.
- Lower your thermostat. During winter months, set the thermostat between 65-70 degrees while you're home, and 58 degrees when you're away. A programmable thermostat automatically adjusts the temperature setting based on your routine and could help you save on heating costs. A smart thermostat is even more effective in providing insight and control.
- Make sure exterior doors are fully closed. A major source of a home’s heat loss is from exterior doors that are not fully latched.
- Use fans to your advantage. During colder months, run ceiling fans clockwise to force warm air down.
- Keep your oven's heat where it belongs. Use your oven light or timer to avoid opening it often while you cook; each time the door is open even for just a few seconds, the temperature drops 25 degrees. Put lids on pots and pans while cooking to speed up cooking time and keep the heat where it’s needed most.
- Lower your water heater's temperature or insulate it. The proper temperature for a water heater is 120 degrees Fahrenheit, and by lowering it 10 degrees, you can save 3-5% on your water heating costs. Insulating the water heater will maximize efficiency.
- Keep filters clean. Dirty furnace filters reduce airflow, requiring your furnace to work harder and use more energy. Change the filter once a month during the winter to reduce your heating costs by 5-15%.
- Don't let heat escape. Affordable window sealing kits can be found in most local home improvement stores and can help you save. Have your home evaluated for leaky ducts, drafts around doors and windows, fireplace dampers and other places where air might escape.
- Improve insulation. Improving the insulation of walls, crawl spaces, floors and heating ducts is one of the fastest and most cost-effective ways to reduce energy costs, saving you up to 10% on your monthly energy bill.
More tips for saving money and energy can be found at xcelenergy.com/Tips. The company also offers incentives and rebates that customers can use to make their homes and businesses more efficient. Find more information at xcelenergy.com/Residential or xcelenergy.com/Business.
Get help with bills
In 2022, about 200,000 Xcel Energy customers across the eight states it serves received more than $215 million in assistance for paying their energy bills. The company will always work with customers to provide options such as payment plans and assistance programs to get them through difficult times. Learn more by visiting xcelenergy.com/EnergyAssistance or calling 1-800-895-4999.